EaP CSF Armenian National Platform
On the Incident at the February 13, 2018 Session of Yerevan Council of Elders
EaP CSF Armenian National Platform expresses its solidarity with the below provided Statement on physical and psychological violence against Marina Khachatryan, Yerevan Council of Elders “Yerkir Tsirani” faction member, adopted by a number of Armenian NGOs on February 13, 2018.
Below represented organizations strongly condemn the physical and psychological violence against Marina Khachatryan, member of “Yerkir Tsirani” party at Yerevan Council of Elders by the members of Republican Party during the Yerevan Council of Elders session on February 13 of 2018.
The public display of the force one more time proves and highlights the propoganding and disseminating tendencies of the current impunity, as well as the culture of resolving the violation issues by the ruling party’s administration
Such conduct by the high-ranking official displayed in professional platform neutralizes the government imitative efforts that democratic reforms are being implemented in the country.
The actions of the Republican Party Members one more time show the role of a woman and the vicious practice of violence against her.
In this regard, it is crucially necessary to take adequate response and urgent steps, so we call on:
- Opposition political forces to immediately raise the issue regarding the resignation of Republican Party members and the Head of the Yerevan Community;
- International Organizations to make the issue of impunity elimination towards violence as the main condition for the possible cooperation with the authorities;
- Public to formulate a public demand over the responsibility for the violence;
- Law-enforcement bodies to be guided not by the party-authority directives, but by the powers vested to them by the Constitution and bring to liability those who used violence and their supporters;
- The Human Rights Defender to immediately institute a proceeding and on the sanctioning demand apply to the RA Prosecutor General’s Office and RA Special Investigation Service.
At the same time, the Organizations express their readiness for the protection of Marine Khachatryan’s rights and interests.
It should be noted, that the members of “Yerkir Tsirani” party brought the bottles of sewage water from Nubarashen into the hall and attempted to approach the latter to Mayor Taron Margaryan.
The activities of “Yerkir Tsirani” members were targeted towards making the issues regarding the stench in Nubarashen community for a long period of time and the current problems visible and tangible. The video is available with the following link http://lurer.com/?p=278558&l=am.
The above-mentioned Statement has been signed by “Protection of rights without borders” NGO; “Journalists for Human Rights” NGO; “New Generation” NGO; “For Equal Rights” NGO; “PINK Armenia” NGO; “Union of informed citizens” NGO; “Foundation against the Violation of Law” NGO; “Peace Dialog” NGO; “Asparez” Journalists Club; “Logos” NGO; “Veles” NGO; “Public Journalism Club; “Meghri Women Resource Centre” NGO; “Centre for Community Mobilization and Support” NGO.